For those of us involved in bat conservation in Mississippi, the unexpected loss of Kathy Shelton has been difficult. She was a voice and a champion for Mississippi’s wildlife, especially those less understood or appreciated species including bats. The Mississippi Bat Working Group will continue to work towards a greater appreciation and understanding of Mississippi’s diversity of bats in her memory.
The membership of the MBWG would also like to memorialize Kathy Shelton with a bench at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science. The bench is to be placed next to a similar bench which she donated in memory of her husband, Les Shelton. Members of the group are currently designing a wildlife element to be carved into the bench to commemorate her passion for wildlife conservation.
If you would like to contribute to this memorial the MBWG has a few ways you may donate towards the cost of purchasing the bench.
- You may send a check made out to MBWG to P.O. Box 1070, Grenada, MS 38901. Please indicate in the memo that it is for Kathy.
- You may make a donation via our Facebook page. 3
- You may make a donation on this page via Paypal.
To make a Paypal donation:
- Click on the yellow Donate button.
- If you have an account you can enter your login information. If you don’t you have the option to create an account. (You must have an account to donate via Paypal.)
- Along the top of the screen, click on “Send & Request”.
- Enter email@example.com in the text box and click the blue next button.
- Enter the amount you would like to donate and please add a note so we know it is to go towards Kathy’s bench. Click the blue next button.
- You will be prompted to enter your payment information and then you can click “Send Payment Now”. (If you enter a new card, please make sure your note indicating the purpose of the donation didn’t get erased.)
- You will get a confirmation of your donation sent to the email linked to your Paypal account.
Thank you for helping preserve Kathy’s memory.